Friday, December 28, 2007

Setting up the Blog

Basic requirements for setting up my blog were simple - It had to be free and it had to allow some method of generating income.

Wordpress (which I had some previous experience) does not allow the income part but Google's Blogger meets the criteria of both. I am also generally impressed with Google as a company so I decided to use Blogger. There may be more out there but I am not that patient.

I chose my topic, name and made a little banner using Paint.net (Free) to quickly throw it together. The results are before you.

Next thing was setting up some sort of ad revenue. I tried setting up Adsense (Googles ad "engine") but it gave me an error when trying to register so I am waiting on that to see if I can get it working. I did a search under "Adsense comparison" and found another service called "Adster" which was very easy to set up and claims greater revenue to the Client so I thought I would give that a try too. Once again there are probably more there but I figured I would give these to a try.

Blogger does not have statistical analysis so I signed up for Feedburner and Statcounter. Both pretty easy to set up but Feedburner seems to have more than just statistics and I will review that later once I work out what it fully does but it seems to have services to help promote your blog.

Now, onto posting content and lots of it.

No comments: